Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Black Bean & Corn Salad



Sometimes I like to make this salad on Sunday afternoon and then nosh on it through the week. It's good to take to work in lunches, and you can also make it a bit heartier if you add in some cubed avocado, or if you are so inclined, some crab meat. It's also a good side dish for mexican or southwestern themed dinners.

What you will need:

One can of black beans
One can of "fiesta corn" (you can also use regular corn kernels you cook yourself or get from another type of can and then chop up some red/green bell peppers, but since I'm trying to teach you to cook gourmet-ish in less time)
One lime
Cilantro, fresh
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Sea Salt (not pictured, I know)

First thing's first, drain the corn and dump it into a mixing bowl. To save on time and dishes, I typically make this in a big tupperware container so I can just snap the lid on when I'm done.

Then, drain the black beans, put them in a colander, and rinse them to get the rest of the black residue off. Dump them in with the corn.

Cut the lime in half and squeeze all juice from the lime into the bowl. I find it easiest to get all of the juice out of the lime with a citrus reamer (they are pretty cheap at any kitchen goods store), and they are very fun to use.

Typically I chop about 1/3 of the bunch of cilantro up finely and throw it in. You can put more or less in if you'd like; this is really all to taste.

Sprinkle it with sea salt (more than you think you'll need because a lot of it will be absorbed into the juices), and 1/2 of a tbsp of garlic powder. Sprinkle to taste with chili powder, and start with less until you reach your desired heat level.


Mix all together, taste to make sure you like your spice levels, and then chill in the refrigerator. If I am making it as a side dish, I make it first and then cook the rest; it's usually sufficiently chilled by the time dinner rolls around.

Then, serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment